Wednesday, August 5, 2015

choosing to minimize


The past few months or so I have been feeling weighed down by my possessions. A few weeks ago I just felt like I needed to purge some things. I didn't think it would be much. I started in my closet. I took out everything I never wear or even like anymore and put them in a bag. I found that getting dressed in the morning was becoming so much easier!

The sorting started slowly through out the house. The sorting & purging was interrupted when my family took our youth group to Colorado for a youth conference. We camped on the side of the mountain. It was there that I began to see how little I really needed. My son took a total of 2 toys for the week... and he never once got bored! We had no cell service so we spent more time just spending time with each other and getting to know some of our youth better. 

The moment we got home from Colorado I began to look around the house and see what else was unnecessary.  I noticed how jammed the closets were, the amount of toys I was picking up, and how much clutter was accumulating in all corners of the house. 

With lots of motivation from youtube videos I have started to de-clutter and remove things in my home that just aren't serving their purpose anymore, bring little to no joy to our lives or distracting us from what is more important.

This is just the beginning. We have a ways to go still. I don't think I will ever call ourselves minimalist but the freedom I am already starting to feel is too much to ignore. I feel like by getting rid of the excess junk in our lives we will be better able to listen to God. If He ever wants us to do something different, we won't feel bogged down by our things. We will have more time to develop relationships. I can't wait to see what else God has in store for our family!

No comments

Post a Comment